Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Tasty Tuesday: Chicken and Black Bean Burritos


I've posted this recipe before, but it's one of our all-time favorites at our house! So I just have to share it again. I first discovered it in one of my first issues of Food Network magazine. My wonderful secret sister got me a subscription to it last year. Anyway... this recipe is so easy, so healthy, and so yummy!

Chicken and Bean Burritos

Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine

Ingredients
1/2 cup brown rice
2 cloves garlic; 1 smashed, 1 minced
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 pound (about 2 cups) frozen diced butternut squash, thawed
1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken, skin removed
1 15-ounce can black beans
1 cup grape tomatoes
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1/4 cup pickled jalapeno peppers, plus 2 tablespoons pickling liquid
4 8-inch whole-wheat tortillas, warmed
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
1 avocado, sliced
Plain low-fat yogurt or sour cream, for serving (optional)

Directions
Heat a medium skillet over high heat. Add the rice and smashed garlic and cook,
stirring, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1 cup water, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
Add the squash and reduce the heat to low; cover and simmer, undisturbed, about 25 minutes. Sprinkle the
chicken over the rice mixture, cover and remove from the heat.
Meanwhile, make the bean salsa: Drain and rinse the beans, quarter the tomatoes and chop the cilantro and
jalapenos. Toss with the pickling liquid and minced garlic in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
Stir the chicken-rice mixture and spoon it down the center of each tortilla, then top with half of the bean
salsa and sprinkle with the cheese. Fold in the sides and roll up. Slice in half and serve with avocado, the
remaining bean salsa and yogurt, if desired.

Per serving: Calories 497; Fat 15 g (Saturated 3 g); Cholesterol 25 mg; Sodium 620 mg; Carbohydrate 70 g;
Fiber 11 g; Protein 24 g

0 comments:

About Me

My Photo
Kristin
I'm Kristin. Married since 2002 to a super cool guy named Joel. We have a super amazing boy named Luke and a super cuddly pup named McCarthy. I'm not a very consistent blogger (at all) but I do go in spurts. I like to keep people on their edge of their seats. Ha!
View my complete profile

Add My Button

Powered by Blogger.

Labels

Followers

Blog Design By

Photobucket