Tuesday, July 20, 2010

crazy love.

So I'm reading this book. It's called crazy love by Francis Chan. Raise your hand if you've heard of it. Raise your hand if you've read it. Now raise your hand if you loved it.

I'm only on the second chapter and already I'm glued. It's not often I can find a book that wisps my attention immediately. Especially a nonfiction-type. But this one. It got me from the get-go.

As I was elipticalling away at the gym tonight, I read. And one section that I read today really stuck out to me. Well, lots of sections, but this one I'm going to share with you.

"We are programmed to focus on what we don't have, bombarded multiple times throughout the day with what we need to buy that will make us feel happier or sexier or more at peace. This dissatisfaction transfers over to our thinking about God. We forget that we already have everything we need in Him. Because we don't often think about the reality of who God is, we quickly forget that He is worth to be worshipped and loved. We are to fear Him."

How often, when I'm "in a funk," do I head to Target to shop away the blues? Or if I can't get out alone, I hop online and zone into the cute new styles at Old Navy or adore the creativeness at etsy? Is it okay for me to shop? You'd better darn believe it is! However, it's not okay to try to fill the need for God with shopping. Or with exercising. Or being with friends. Or being a neat-freak. (Okay, that one I'm safe from...) You get the picture. It's not okay to fill that void with anything but God.

I'm going to end this post with another blurb from the book.
(There are so many blurbs I want to share, but I'm afraid I'd be arrested for plagiarizing, so just buy the book and read it for yourself.)

"Each of us, to some degree, fools our friends and family about who we really are. But it's impossible to do that with God. He knows each of us, deeply and specifically. He knows our thoughts before we think them, our actions before we commit them, whether we are lying down or sitting or walking around. He knows who we are and what we are about. We cannot escape Him, not even if we want to. When I grow weary of trying to be faithful to Him and want a break, it doesn't come as a surprise to God."
And He still loves me. Wow.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful words and thoughts. Thanks for sharing!

Shannan Martin said...

Girl - Check out the Radical series from Brook Hills church. Pastor David Platt. We listened to the series online and that's exactly what changed EVERYTHING.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing. I am/was in need of a new book. I will be seaching for this one :)

About Me

My Photo
Kristin
I'm Kristin. Married since 2002 to a super cool guy named Joel. We have a super amazing boy named Luke and a super cuddly pup named McCarthy. I'm not a very consistent blogger (at all) but I do go in spurts. I like to keep people on their edge of their seats. Ha!
View my complete profile

Add My Button

Powered by Blogger.

Labels

Followers

Blog Design By

Photobucket