Friday, July 23, 2010

Travel Tips.

Because we've traveled every summer with Luke... throwing in a few weekend trips & day trips throughout the rest of the year, I feel like we've got this traveling with kids thing down pat.

Here are some tips that make things bearable in the Kratzer-mobile.

1. Road Trip Car Games- We have travel bingo and a wipe-off board for the license plate game. I saw at Target a few days ago a few travel games in their luggage section that I may go back and get- tic-tac-toe, hangman, another version of bingo. Also, in this month's Family Fun magazine they have four pages worth of new & really fun car games. (Actually, the entire magazine this month has a lot of end-of-summer/road trip ideas!)

This is our travel bingo. I got it from "the book man" who brings books and stuff to our school to buy. It's so much fun!


2. Washable markers & colored pencils and a notebook- we don't bring crayons. We don't want melted crayons all over the backseat. :) Genius I know. But Luke loves to draw. And write. Sometimes he'll write adventure stories. Sometimes he'll just write. I like a spiral notebook because the pages stay together and the backseat doesn't look like a paper recycling plant when we get to the hotel. Throw in Do You Doodle? and there goes an hour of the trip.



3. White board and dry erase markers. I keep these up front with me. But it's a fun way to write secret messages to Luke (and a great way to practice his reading without him even know it!). Or it's a great way to keep track of how many miles we've already traveled and how many there are to go. Take it a step further (and it makes for less stuff to bring) and play the road trip games on them.



4. Mix. I can't say it enough. This trusty snack has gone with us on vacations and road trips for as long as I can remember. Each time it's a little different. This year our mix consists of Reece's Puffs cereal, Honey Nut Cheerios, Cheerios, bite-sized chocolate chip grahams, cheese crackers (usually it's goldfish but we had these already and went with it), Reece's Pieces, M&Ms, peanuts... I think that's it. Some years we'll throw in pretzels, marshmallows, chocolate chips (but those DO melt!), almonds, cashews, chocolate covered raisins, yogurt covered raisin... the possibilities are endless!



5. Water bottles with a sports cap or straw. No spills. No whining, "I'm thiiiiiirsty!" Unless you or your husband is anything like my dad. He always liked to make us wait until our eyeballs were yellow, which was usually at the hotel, fifteen hours away from our last stop. If that's the case, leave the water at home and deal with the whining. They'll thank you in twenty years. By the way, I have a new favorite water bottle. Nathan water bottles have straws that don't leak and it makes me constantly drink water.


6. Your camera. Who says you have to wait until you're at your destination to start taking pictures? Now that most everyone has gone digital, hand the camera over to the kids and let them take pictures. Last December, Luke spent half a trip taking pictures of who knows what. I saved a few and deleted the rest.



7. Books and magazines. We have to go easy on the books while traveling in our family. I get sick if I read just one line of something. And I'm afraid Luke is slowly following in my footsteps. He can handle an hour or so before he starts getting queasy. But if you are able, reading is an awesome way to pass the time. Take turns reading a page or a book to each other!


8. Portable DVD player. We love this thing. And now with the invention of the Red Box, we can grab a movie before we leave and switch it at a town three hours away if we need! Don't forget the headphones!


9. Hand-held games. Electronic or not- Nintendo DS, PSP, Rubik's Cube, or download a few game apps on your phone. Luke loves Spongebob memory or Super Mario puzzles (you remember those little handheld plastic things with the squares that you have to rearrange until you have a complete picture? It's on my phone now. :) ).


10. A pillow. Ah, yes. This one is my favorite. I love to sleep in the car. Have you ever used a travel neck pillow? Heaven I tell you. I sleep like a baby when I use one. My poor husband didn't know what he got himself into when he married me. Long, quiet, lonely road trips. Ha!


11. Baby wipes. They're great for everything- cleaning up spills, wiping mouths, blowing noses. Throw a tub of 'em in your car and go!


12. Plastic grocery bags. Reuse and bring a few to use as trash bags in the car. Makes for an easy clean-up one you arrive at your destination.


13. A little tote or tub. If you like to stay organized, keep everything in a little tote or tub. We just got Luke a new one from 31 Gifts to keep his stuff in the backseat.


Happy travels!

2 comments:

melanie said...

Okay, do you REALLY take legos in the car? If I did that, we'd sell the car ten years later and there would still be legos in all of the little crevices! LOL

I left you an award at my blog. :)

http://itsmelanie.blogspot.com

Kristin said...

Ha ha! NO! We just take the tote! (and fill it with books, markers, etc.) Oh my no. No legos.

And I just saw that! I'll pass it on tomorrow... THANK YOU! :)

About Me

My Photo
Kristin
I'm Kristin. Married since 2002 to a super cool guy named Joel. We have a super amazing boy named Luke and a super cuddly pup named McCarthy. I'm not a very consistent blogger (at all) but I do go in spurts. I like to keep people on their edge of their seats. Ha!
View my complete profile

Add My Button

Powered by Blogger.

Labels

Followers

Blog Design By

Photobucket